Level 3 & Competition Development Certifications
Level 3 Certification and Competition-Development Certified Coaches are qualified to assume the responsibilities of a Head Coach with skaters in the Training to Train, Learning to Compete and Training to Compete Stages of development. It is the minimum certification required to Coach at Canada Winter Games and recommended certification for all coaches working with Regional or Provincial Teams attending SSC Championships and selection events.
Certification is based on the demonstration of specific skills and knowledge. The process is designed to be formative in nature and should only be initiated when a coach is confident that he or she will be successful. Presently SSC is in the transition phase between Level 3 Certification and Competition Development. The pilot certification process for Competition-Development Coaches will be available starting in the Spring of 2012.
For coaches who have nearly completed the requirements of Level 3 certification are encouraged to do so as soon as possible or consider enrolling in the Competition-Development pilot to complete their certification.
Level 3 Coaches are required to complete the following activities to earn certification:
- Successfully complete the on-line Making Ethical Decisions Evaluation
- Prepare an yearly training plan covering the physical, technical, tactical & mental preparation of athletes as well as recovery & regeneration strategies
- Copies of Microcycle plans in the followings Phases: General Preparation, Specific Preparation, Pre-Competition & Competition
- Task Analysis which addresses the Technical, Tactical, Physical, Social and Intellectual factors which influence performance
- A copy of the Emergency Action Plan in place for your primary training venue
- A one page article outlining your coaching philosophy and key to success
- A technical analysis of a skater using a video recorded of a skater within your training group – the video can be taken in the training or competition setting.
Minimum age: 16 years old
Evidence for these criteria is gathered through three unique activities:
- Making Ethical Decisions On-line Evaluation (same evaluation as FUNdamentals Coach & Introduction to Competition)
- Coach Portfolio (submission of tasks above)
- Skype, Web conference or in person review of portfolio with an accredited evaluator
Download Evaluation Forms
Please note certification for Competition-Development will require coaches to be observed in-person or by video in both the training and competition setting in addition to the preparation of portfolio tasks.